SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco International Airport officials announced Tuesday that a parking lot that has been used for years as a public viewing area will be closed.
The lot, which also serves as a staging area for buses, limos and door-to-door vans waiting to be called to a terminal, will be closed for an indefinite period starting Wednesday morning because of security concerns.
The lot, which is located close to a departure runway at the southern end of the airport, has been a popular spot for plane-watchers for years.
“A lot of people plan to have their lunches there,” said airport spokesman Ron Wilson. “They will be disappointed. We just don’t want to take any chances.”
The commercial vehicles will be moved to a lot at the northern end of the airport, but no new public viewing area will be established at the airport.
SAN JOSE — Out of money and unable to pay its musicians, the San Jose Symphony board voted Monday to temporarily shut down its business operations, but still hasn’t decided what to do about the rest of its concert season.
Most of the office staff will be let go, said Dick Gourley, the symphony’s acting chief executive officer. The board will discuss at a meeting Thursday whether to cancel upcoming performances, including concerts scheduled for Oct. 26 to 28 in San Jose and Cupertino, and a November fundraiser.
It isn’t clear yet what will happen to tickets for more than 40 future performances scheduled through June.
The symphony had a $7.8 million budget last year and ended the fiscal year in July with a deficit of $2.5 million. It has been operating with almost no cash reserves since the summer.
Curtis Dudnick, the acting chief financial officer, told the board in August that if it couldn’t raise at least $2.7 million by year’s end, the orchestra would be facing bankruptcy. The $1 million raised has been used to pay operating expenses. Last month, musicians were paid only after trustees wrote personal checks after a board meeting.
MARTINEZ, Calif. (AP) — Contra Costa County health officials want to know why it took the Equilon refinery more than a half-hour Sunday night to activate warning sirens after the start of a smoky release that showered soot for miles.
Meanwhile, Equilon has begun a huge cleanup, paying to sweep city streets and school playgrounds and offering to pay the cleaning bills for cars, houses or other private property dirtied by the black dust.
County health officials said the fluffy particles are not hazardous to touch and they have no reports of anyone being injured by breathing the particles.
Equilon equipment released alumina silica for about 65 minutes Sunday, the company reported to the county. The cause of the accident is under investigation.
In deciding initially that the release was not serious enough to warrant sirens, Equilon also postponed activating the county’s automated phone system to dial prerecorded warnings to refinery neighbors.