Second Derby Field Community Meeting
The Berkeley Unified School District will be holding the second of two community meetings to discuss the Closed Derby Street option for the Derby Street Athletic Field on Thursday, 7-9 p.m., at the Berkeley Technical Academy, 2701 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
The meeting will include:
• An open floor public comment session regarding the Closed Derby Street Plan.
• A review of public comments from Dec. 7.
• Further presentation of the “Curvy Derby” Plan. The creators of the Curvy Derby Plan will make a 15-minute presentation, sharing more details of their proposed plan.
• Discussion of the goals and desired outcomes for these meetings.
• Discussion on whether this process will allow for the possibility of changing the EIR preferred plan to one of the open street plans.
• Discussion on how the information collected in these meetings will get to the Board of Education. The information from these meetings will be put into a document that will go before the Board at a February or March meeting.
The mayor and city manager's offices have been looking at the proposed plan and will comment on what would be needed if the street were to remain open (with the Curvy Derby Plan) as opposed to what is needed for the Closed Derby Plan.
Berkeley Family Diversity School/ LGBT Inclusion Strategy Meeting
The Berkeley Unified School District Parent Outreach Office, district parents and Our Family Coalition will be holding its second Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Inclusion meeting today (Tuesday) at Berkeley B-Tech, 2701 Martin Luther King Jr. Way at 6 p.m.
The discussion will inform people about how Berkeley Public Schools are working to be welcoming to all families, including those headed by LGBT people.
Administrators, staff, parents/caregivers and others will discuss ways to integrate LGBT and general family diversity curriculum into schools, how to make schools safer and more inclusive, how to work with the parent community and how to incorporate these issues into overall anti-bullying work.
At the first meeting, the importance for LGBT and heterosexual parents/caregivers to participate in conversations about these important issues was discussed.
For more info call Judy at (415) 981-1960.