Bacon Hall was built in the 1880s. When the campus opened in 1873, there were only two buildings ready for occupancy: North Hall, where the Bancroft Library now stands, and South Hall. Bacon Hall was built a few years later and housed the University Collections and the library. Behind Bacon Hall is the Mechanical Arts Building, which is also no longer standing.
The Campanile (Sather Tower) was built in 1914 in front of Bacon Hall and between North and South halls in what had been a grassy area. Bacon Hall was demolished in the early 1960s. Birge Hall was built in its place.
Susan Cerny writes Berkeley Observed in conjunction with the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association