The oldest school building standing in Berkeley is located at 1814 Seventh St. and was built in 1887. The simple, one-and two-story wood-frame building, with clipped gable ends, has tall sash windows and horizontal board siding. Although now used as a residence, it retains much of the character of the original school building.
The school was designed by architect/builder Alphonso Herman Broad. Broad came to Berkeley in 1877 and became the superintendent for the reconstruction of the Berkeley schools after the 1906 earthquake. He was a prominent Berkeley citizen and one of the first trustees of the Township of Berkeley.
He also designed the original buildings for Whittier, Le Conte and Columbus schools, but none of these are still standing. Among his buildings that are still standing is the Haste Street Building of McKinley School at 2419 Haste Street built in 1906.
Susan Cerny authors this history series with the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association