Alleged drug den bursts into flames

Monday September 17, 2001

SAN JOSE – A couple allegedly cooking methamphetamine in a San Jose motel room were burned as the chemicals burst into flames. 

Chad Gulmon, 28, threw the chemicals and the beakers out the second-story window of the Extended Stay America motel on San Ignacio Avenue. Gulmon tried to swallow a bag of methamphetamine. Police struggled with him to retrieve them. 

Gulmon was hospitalized with second and third-degree burns. Karin Burns, 32, was booked after being treated for burns to her hands. 

Two San Jose police officers and a sergeant who struggled with Gulmon were also released from a local hospital after being treated for chemical exposure.