Bay Area Briefs

Saturday September 14, 2002

Marin woman escapes injury when car plunges from carport 

MILL VALLEY – A Marin County woman narrowly escaped injury Friday morning when she drove forward instead of backward out of her carport and her Mercedes landed three feet below on top of her home's roof. 

Southern Marin County Fire District spokesman Jeff Allen said a wall on top of the roof prevented the car from falling 60 feet to the ground.  

Allen said the elderly woman was not injured during the 11:25 a.m. incident at 370 Richardson Way in the Tamalpais Valley. 

Fire crews were still trying to get the car off the roof late this afternoon by using a series of jacks and ramps, Allen said. 

Union City police investigate triple homicide 

UNION CITY – Union City police are gathering clues Friday in a triple homicide after three bodies were discovered inside a ransacked home late Thursday night. 

Union City Police Capt. Brian Foley said the three Asian victims had been beaten so badly that a cause of death is unclear. 

Foley said authorities received a call shortly before 10 p.m.  

Thursday notifying them of an unconscious woman inside the two-story house at 33056 Compton Court, which a couple had been renting since August of last year. 

The person who called 911 was the mother of a woman who had been living at the house. The mother, who was interviewed at police headquarters earlier today, was apparently concerned after not hearing from her daughter for several days, authorities said. 

When Fire Department crews arrived at the home to investigate last night, they found multiple bodies and called for assistance from police, who confirmed that two Asian men and an Asian woman, all in their 20s or 30s, were dead. 

“There were obvious signs of trauma to the extent that cause of death is difficult to determine at this point,” Foley said. 

Police said the victims may have been dead for several days inside the home, a cream colored house with a red tile roof.  

Second suspicious fire in  

five days at San Jose mall 

SAN JOSE – Arson investigators are picking through the charred remnants of a convenience store this morning as they investigate the second suspicious fire in five days at a strip mall on Tully Road. 

The fire probably began with an explosion, said San Jose Fire Department spokesman Greg Spence, because 911 callers reported hearing an explosion and firefighters also found glass shards on the roadway in front of the store. 

The fire at The Tully Road Market, located at 1709 Tully Road, was reported at 2:48 a.m. and firefighters extinguished the blaze about 40 minutes later, Spence said. 

The store is destroyed, Spence said, and damage is estimated at $175,000.