Fire Department Log

Tuesday July 20, 2004

Firefighters were summoned to 1195 Grizzly Peak Road 17 minutes after midnight Monday, arriving four minutes later to find a neighbor with a hose battling the flames that had swept up the wall of wood-shingled garage. 

“He had most of the flames out when the engines arrived,” said Deputy Fire Chief David Orth. 

The flames resulted from spontaneous combustion of solvents and rags used for brush cleaning by an artistic resident, who had left them outside next to the garage wall. 

Orth estimated the damage at about $10,000.›