Fire Department Log By RICHARD BRENNEMAN

Monday January 03, 2005

Alerted by the smell of burning clothes and plastic, residents of a home at 813 Addison St. called the Berkeley Fire Department after discovered their dryer ablaze. 

A prompt response confined the flames to the dryer and a portion of the back wall. 

The occupants said they might have learned of the fire earlier, but their smoke detector had “maybe no batteries,” according to the BFD’s official log. 

Firefighters installed fresh batteries before they left.n