Fire Department Log By RICHARD BRENNEMAN

Tuesday November 29, 2005

Telegraph fire 

Firefighters were called to Ann’s Kitchen at 2498 Telegraph Ave. Wednesday afternoon, an hour after restaurant staff had doused a stove fire with a dry chemical, said Deputy Fire Chief David P. Orth. 

The firefighters refused a request to repair the stove and raised objections that meals were still being served following the incident. 

After the staff ignored several warnings to stop serving, firefighters called police and the city health department, which ordered a shutdown. 

Pacific Gas & Electric also refused a restaurant request to repair the stove, Orth said. 


Playing with fire 

An 8-year-old boy and his 7-year-old sister, paying a visit to their grandmother’s house at 1713 Dwight Way, managed to lay hold of a cigarette lighter. 

Taking it into a bathroom, the young pair managed to set fire to a towel, which ignited the shower curtain, which started a bigger blaze. Officers had controlled it within 12 minutes of their arrival at 3:16 p.m. 

Orth said the blaze caused about $20,000 in structural damage but only $500 in damage to contents. 

The two youngsters were referred for mental health counseling and to his department’s own Juvenile Fire Center Program, which is designed to head off future problems. 


Stove + candle = fire 

Firefighters rushed to 1223 Kains Ave. at 2:20 p.m. Saturday, only to find the fire already out. 

A resident had unwisely placed a wax candle atop a glowing wood stove, leading to the inevitable. Fortunately, the blaze ended when the last of the wax had been consumed and before it could spread, said Orth.