Fire Department Log By RICHARD BRENNEMAN

Friday January 13, 2006

Deputy Fire Chief David Orth constantly reminds folks of the dangers of leaving candles lit when residents are out of the room. 

He had another example to cite Thursday afternoon when he arrived at an apartment at 2204 McKinley St. to find a coffee table burning because the residents had left unattended candles aglow. 

Though there was no structural damage from the blaze—which destroyed only the coffee table—there was heavy smoke throughout the apartment, which caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to contents, Orth said.