A Berkeley City Council meeting Tuesday that stretched into Wednesday began on a light note, honoring local poet Adam David Miller.
The more weighty council decisions that followed included:
• Placing a fire and disaster preparedness tax on the November ballot. The council voted 7-0-2, with councilmembers Dona Spring and Laurie Capitelli abstaining. At its July 8 meeting, the council will decide whether to charge owners of commercial property a higher rate than homeowners.
• Placing a library bond on the ballot to upgrade seismic safety and access for the disabled and add space for programs such as adult literacy. The vote was unanimous.
• Delaying until July 8 a council decision on whether to place an advisory measure on the November ballot calling on the Berkeley Unified School District not to demolish the warm pool until a new warm pool is built. The superintendent of schools and the president of the school board asked for the delay to coordinate efforts.
• Delaying until July 8 a council decision on the acting city attorney’s proposed ballot description language for the Landmarks Preservation Ordinance referendum on the November ballot, which speakers said misrepresented the preexisting LPO that the challenged new ordinance would have replaced.
The city attorney agreed to take the public’s comments into consideration. Comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Endorsing a program to counter racism in the schools, which would include an emphasis on minority hiring and training teachers in cultural competence. The council endorsement was unanimous and, as part of the budget, it voted the project $75,000 later in the evening.
• Approving a $320 million budget 7-1-1, representing a 2 percent increase over last year and eliminating 9.5 positions. Councilmember Worthington voted no and Councilmember Betty Olds abstained.
For details, see www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=9868 on Thursday when the annotated agenda will be posted. An online video will be available on Thursday as well at the same URL.